travelingthroughpages

Traveling Through Pages

I am a 20 year-old college student majoring in Biochemistry, who loves to read and make book-related videos on my YouTube channel. :)

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

Landline: A Novel - Rainbow Rowell

Publication: July 8, 2014 by St. Martin's Press

Goodreads

Georgie is a TV sitcom writer and she loves her job, plus she's great at it. Right before she's supposed to leave with her husband, Neal, and her two daughters to go to Omaha for Christmas, she gets the news that her new dream TV show might get picked up and she has to stay in LA. Neal is upset about this, but decides to take their daughters to Omaha anyway. With their marriage already on the rocks, Georgia wonders if she has just ruined everything. That night, Georgia discovers she can talk to Neal from the past through her mom's landline phone. Can Georgie fix their marriage before it even started?

This is my first Rainbow Rowell book, and I have to say that I fell in love with her writing. She definitely has a way of making everything feel realistic. I was convinced that this phone could really let you talk to people in the past, haha. I also loved all the little jokes and details she added into the story that made this feel like a real relationship.

The characters in this story are very unique. Both Georgie and Neal could be unlikeable. Georgie seemed to neglect her family for her job, while Neal was the kind of person who never laughed or smiled. However, for some reason, they clicked as a couple. Both did aggravate me at times, but they were very interesting to read about.

Rainbow Rowell does utilize flash backs to help tell the story of Georgie and Neal's relationship, staring with college. I liked this a lot, and I felt they were easy to follow and understand. It was neat seeing where they started and how they ended up after they were married. Along with that, present Georgie can have conversations with past Neal, which added a whole new dimension to their relationship.

This story is really thought-provoking.

While I loved many things about this book, it was hard for me to connect with it. I am in a long-term relationship so I could kind of relate to that aspect. However, the characters are much older than me and I am not married, nor will I soon be married. So, in those ways it was hard to connect. On top of that, the characters, while intriguing, weren't very likable.

With all of that said, I think the writing is where this book shines. It's quick and easy to read, but also makes you think. It's extremely well-written and I loved it even though I didn't love the characters. I enjoyed reading about their relationship and seeing how everything played out.

If you are already a fan of Rainbow Rowell, this is a must read. Also, if you're looking for a more adult story with slight bit of magic thrown in, I would highly recommend this one!

*I received a copy of this book from St. Martin's Press in return for an honest review. All opinions are my own.*