travelingthroughpages

Traveling Through Pages

I am a 20 year-old college student majoring in Biochemistry, who loves to read and make book-related videos on my YouTube channel. :)

Between the Spark and the Burn by April Genevieve Tucholke

Between the Spark and the Burn - April Genevieve Tucholke

Series: Between #2

Publication: August 14, 2014 by Dial

Goodreads

I really enjoyed this sequel/conclusion to Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. I'm not going to get into a summary because I don't want to spoil the first book.

My favorite aspect of these books is the atmosphere they create. The writing is quite beautiful and poetic, and it is great with describing sensory detail. Because of that, the scenes and settings feel very real.

These books are often labeled as "scary" or "horror", and I would argue against that. They aren't the happiest of books, but really have more of an ominous feel. Since the writing is poetic, it comes off as a bit creepy at times. The first book is set in a sort-of gothic small town (reminds me of the TV show Ravenswood), so that definitely adds a creep factor, but I would say these books are more "thrillers". The first book is a lot creepier than this one. They both have dark undertones, but I don't think they would give anyone nightmares, in my opinion.

The ominous and dark tone to the books is another aspect I love. The writing is successful at giving off the creepy vibe. I thought it was unique and I haven't read any other YA books like these. They also mix in the supernatural and paranormal which I thought was fun.

There's also a romance story line in both of the books, which is also tinged with darkness. It was a little insta-love in the first book, but I liked the development into the second. Things definitely get complicated.

The main character Violet has an old soul. She loves vintage things and was very close to her deceased grandmother. The story is from her point of view and she often thinks about her grandmother. In this second installment, we get more information on her grandmother's past and it then parallels to Violet's life. I thought that was a neat touch. I enjoyed Violet's character, although she wasn't very relatable, I found her interesting.

That's the case with pretty much all the characters. They are all very strange, and I don't think the reader is really meant to strongly connect to them. These books are more about their odd story. Also, there's the big factor of trust. Like I said before, there is a lot of darkness, so it's hard to know which characters are good, or if any are good. I found them all intriguing and thought-provoking.

I think these books are a fun, dark, and weird adventure and I would recommend them to anyone who wants to read something with a bit of creep factor, but not very scary. This second book really took things to a new level of weird, but I definitely enjoyed it. The ending is slightly open-ended, but I think it suited the story. If you read the first book and wasn't super crazy about it, I would still suggest reading this final book because the writing is stronger and it's an interesting development to the story. These books aren't phenomenal, but I found them highly enjoyable and entertaining.

*I was sent a copy of this book from Penguin Publishing in return for an honest review, all opinions are my own*