travelingthroughpages

Traveling Through Pages

I am a 20 year-old college student majoring in Biochemistry, who loves to read and make book-related videos on my YouTube channel. :)

The Merciless by Danielle Vega

The Merciless - Danielle Vega

This is a crazy, weird, insanely messed up book, but kinda awesome.

The main character Sofia has a mysterious past when she moves to a new town and new high school. All she wants is to find some decent friends to help her survive the time she will spend at this school. Little did she know, some of the most popular girls would befriend her. The leader, Riley, is very religious and feels it is her duty to make sure no one is friendless. Well, Sofia soon finds out she has gotten into more than she bargained for with these girls. Riley also feels it is her duty to "help" a fellow classmate named Brooklyn, who apparently is possessed by a demon and needs an exorcism, according to Riley.

This then sets off a whole chain of events that will leave you cringing! Riley ropes Sofia along with two other girls into doing this makeshift exorcism, and it obviously goes badly.

I am a big fan of all things scary and the horror genre and I think this book lives up to that title.
The characters weren't great, it was predictable at times, but the plot overall was insane. I think the gruesome/horrific scenes were done very well, they definitely gave me goosebumps and made me look away at times and remind myself that this isn't real.

The girls in this book are completely deranged and delusional, almost unbelievably so. If you can put aside rational thought and let this book suck you into its demented story, then you will be in for a memorable journey. I really could not put this book down, and sped through the 279 pages!

I would NOT recommend this to people who get scared easily. However, it is definitely YOUNG ADULT horror. I think people who like scary stuff will enjoy this book for its entertainment, drama, and crazy plot. If you are looking for a YA book that will send shivers down your spine and make you literally say "wtf..", then this one is for you! It also deals with exorcisms and spiritual stuff, so if you aren't comfortable with that, then I wouldn't recommend this.

I believe this is going to be a series, which I am on the fence about. I think it would be cool if this was a stand alone, but I am interested to read the sequels!

*I received this book for free from Penguin Publishing in return for my honest review*