travelingthroughpages

Traveling Through Pages

I am a 20 year-old college student majoring in Biochemistry, who loves to read and make book-related videos on my YouTube channel. :)

Through to You by Lauren Barnholdt

Through to You - Lauren Barnholdt

*I received a free advanced e-book of this book through Edelweiss in return for my honest review*

Release date: July 8, 2014

This was not a great contemporary for me. I didn't really hate it, but I also definitely did not love it.

It's basically about a girl named Harper and a boy named Penn. Harper is knows as the smart, quiet girl, and Penn is a jock, womanizer. One day in school, Harper is wearing sparkly ribbons in her hair for school spirit (that her friend forced her to wear), and Penn puts a note on her desk saying "I like your sparkle." Penn didn't think much of it, he just did it to do something spontaneous. This one action sparks a tumultuous relationship between Harper and Penn, where they discover some things about themselves with the help of the other person.

The premise didn't exactly pull me in, but I was in the mood for contemporary (since it's summer), so I thought I would go ahead and read this one. I did end up reading it in a day, but it is only around 250 pages.

I just did not feel connected to the characters at all, they ended up frustrating me a little. I felt a lot of the plot points were random and without reasoning. I could not find much depth or complexity. It also did not evoke many emotions from me. Things would happen to the characters and I could not find myself caring. It also deals with a lot of "high school" issues that I do not care much about anymore.

I will say that the writing was easy to read, and I didn't dislike it enough to put it down. I did want to finish it, so it kept my attention. I think I was more curious about what would go down in the end.

Ultimately, I was disappointed with this. It almost feels like a shell of a story, or an outline, that still needs fleshing out. I thought it might have had potential, but it did not leave an impression on me.

If you're looking for a quick, simplistic read, you might enjoy this one! I would just suggest not going into it expecting to be blown away or experience much emotion.