travelingthroughpages

Traveling Through Pages

I am a 20 year-old college student majoring in Biochemistry, who loves to read and make book-related videos on my YouTube channel. :)

The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings

The Murder Complex - Lindsay Cummings

This is a wonderful, thrilling, brutal debut from Lindsay Cummings.

It's set in a dystopian world where the murder rate is higher than the birth rate. The society is ruled relentlessly by 'The Murder Complex.'

Our main character's name is Meadow. She lives on a house boat with her dad, older brother, and little sister. With her mother murdered, her dad has viciously trained her to survive and kill (if need be) since she was little. Meadow is a very strong female character, and fights to survive and provide for her family everyday.

There is also another main character named Zephyr. He is an orphan, however, he has a secret. He murders innocent people. He doesn't know why he does it, but feels extremely guilty.

When these two characters meet up, they have to uncover the secrets of this society, and figure out what this 'Murder Complex' is all about. Together, they go on a journey of discovery and they figure out that everything is not what it seems.

I am really fascinated by the world that Cummings created. It's very brutal and dark, but also unlike other dystopian worlds. I also loved how fast-paced the plot is. There are so many twists, and I was very shocked at some points.

I also liked the characters. Meadow is so strong and such a badass. Zephyr is strong as well, but he is a little more vulnerable. Their dynamic is very interesting because I think Zeph brings out some of the vulnerability in Meadow. I enjoyed reading about Meadow's relationship with her family. Her and her dad do not have a loving relationship, his main goal is to prepare her for the world they live in. However, Meadow has a very sweet relationship with her little sister. Seeing Meadow deal with all of these relationships and reading about the dynamic between her and others interested me.

I did have some problems with this book. I think at times it was overly complicated, and I definitely got confused. I also felt the world and certain aspects were not explained well enough. At points the plot got so complex that I hardly had any idea what was going on.

Overall, this is a fast read, set in a cruel, ruthless world. It is very violent at times, but I did think that gave it an edge. The characters are also very interesting and the plot will take you for a crazy ride! I am looking forward to the sequel.

*I received a free e-book advanced copy of this book from the website Edelweiss. This is my honest review*